India Tourism Development Corporation
The India Tourism Development Corporation Limited or ITDC as it is popularly recognized is a Public Sector Undertaking of the Government of India, Tourism Department, founded in October 1966 with its headquarters in New Delhi, the capital of India. The Corporation is multi-functional but deals primarily in various divisions and facets of the Hospitality Sector in India and also represents Indian Hospitality sector abroad. ITDC has created and owns the Ashok brand and runs 15 properties under the Ashok brand, pan India.
The main purpose and mission of the Corporation was to be the leader and catalyst in the advancement of the Hospitality sector in India and enable the tourism sector to accomplish ultimate distinction in the chosen field by creating centers that are professional, efficient, give value for money and offer customer-centric services.
Functions of ITDC
Since ITDC is a Corporation that oversees many functions related to the Hospitality Sector. In its multi- functional role, ITDC aims at running all its units efficiently and productively and with improved margins of profit.
- As the mainstay of the Hospitality Industry in India, ITDC plays a pivotal role in the creation and advancement of tourist infrastructure in India.
- ITDC is a large Corporation under the Tourism Department of Government of India and carries a large number of employees in its different sections at various levels of caliber and status. ITDC aims at achieving high levels of productivity from its personnel through superior education, stimulus, and Human Resource Development practices.
- ITDC plays a vital role in getting together Government of each different State and its corresponding Tourism Development Corporation in planning and implementing new tourism-related projects, promotion of these projects, and training of required personnel. It is through the impetus created by ITDC that new tourism projects across the country are being developed.
- A successful organization needs to have the correct ratio of man and work. ITDC works towards rationalizing size of the Human Resources so that the organization is trim and competent.
- Shareholders who have put their trust in the organization should be adequately compensated by creating value for them.
- Customers who are the backbone of any business venture should be provided with more than their money’s worth so that they are satisfied and return for more.
- Construction of new hotels and other hospitality related units, management of the existing ones and take-over of those hotels, motels, resorts, lodges and restaurants that are not doing well but have potential is one of the primary functions of the Corporation.
- All other activities that are related to tourist facilities and interests such as transportation, entertainment, shopping, facilities for conventions and meetings etc. come in the purview of the functions of the Corporation.
- Publicity matter related to tourism is envisioned, designed, produced and distributed by the Corporation.
- ITDC also takes up consultancy and management of tourism related projects in the country and overseas.
- Official money-changing facility for tourists, viz. Full-Fledged-Money-Changers (FFMC) and restricted money changers are also the functions of the Corporation.
- Keeping tourism as the centre of focus, the Corporation provides innovative and viable answers to problems related to the Tourism and Engineering Industry that include the whole gamut; visualization, planning, strategy and implementation of project or consultancy as need be.
In keeping with defined functions related to Tourism, the Corporation runs hotels and restaurants all over the country and also provides transportation for tourists. The Corporation is also involved in production of publicity material related to tourism, entertainment of tourists, managing duty free shops and money-changing facilities for tourists. The Ashok Institute of Hospitality & Tourism Management under the aegis of the Corporation is one of the top Hotel Management Institutes in the country. Other new ventures include engineering related consultancy services etc.
Joint Venture Company of ITDC
ITDC works in tandem with State Tourism Development Corporations or State Tourism Departments in Joint Ventures that run properties that have now gained popularity and acclaim.
Name of the Joint Venture Company
Name of the Hotel property
Ranchi Ashok Bihar Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel Ranchi Ashok, Ranchi
Utkal Ashok Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel Nilachal Ashok, Puri
Donyi Polo Ashok Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel Donyi Polo Ashok, Itanagar
Assam Ashok Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel Brahmaputra Ashok, Guwahati
MP Ashok Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel lake View Ashok, Bhopal
Pondicherry Ashok Hotel Corporation Ltd.
Hotel Pondicherry Ashok, Pondicherry
Punjab Ashok Hotel Company Ltd.
Hotel Anandpur Ashok, Anandpur (Project stage)
Divisions of ITDC
The main divisions of ITDC are:
- Hotels run under The Ashok Group brand
- Duty Free Shops
- Tour packages, Booking, Ticketing, Transportation under Ashok Tours and Travels
- Consultancy and Engineering Services
- Creation and distribution of Tourism related promotion material under the Ashok Creative brand
- Catering Units that operate canteens in New Delhi
- Vigyan Bhawan
- Western Court
- Hyderabad House
- Sound and Light Shows for tourists that tell the history of the monuments; Red Fort and Old Fort in Delhi
- Training and Education related to tourism through Ashok Institute of Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Event Management
Under the Ashok Hotels brand ITDC operates eight hotels, five more hotels are run as Joint Ventures with the State Tourism Development Corporation of that State where the hotel is located. ITDC also runs one restaurant, eleven Transportation Units, a Service Station for tourists, nine Duty Free Shops located at international airports and sea-ports and Sound & Light Shows at the Red Fort and Old Fort in Delhi.
ITDC also manages one hotel at Bharatpur and one restaurant at Kosi of the Department of Tourism. The Catering Services or canteens at Western Court, Vigyan Bhawan and Hyderabad House in New Delhi are also managed by ITDC.
Facilities of ITDC
Tour packages, Booking, Ticketing, Transportation Under the ITDC division; Ashok Travels and Tours offers tour packages, hotel bookings of ITDC and other hotels in India and overseas. Special tourist packages for ITDC hotels including 16 hotels across the length and breadth of the country are also offered.
List of ITDC Hotel
The Ashok, Delhi, the flagship hotel of ITDC symbolizes and sets the tone for the brand “Ashok” under which most of the activities of the Corporation are carried out. The Ashok is a grand hotel built in the late sixties in the distinctive environs of the Capital’s Diplomatic Enclave. The architecture reminiscent of Mughal monuments that dot the city and the imposing façade live up to the image of tradition and heritage which is synonymous with the Ashok brand.
Just behind The Ashok in Delhi is Samrat another well-planned and beautifully laid out hotel. The Hotel’s manicured gardens, open courtyards and the marble and stone edifice surrounding an elegant atrium keep the Hotel a notch apart from other run-of-the- mill hotels that are found in plenty in Delhi.
In the center of the city, a stone’s throw away from Connaught Place, Hotel Janpath on Janpath in New Delhi is a hotel of the ITDC that has the most convenient location and is immensely favoured because of it.
Lalitha Mahal Palace
The royal abode of the Maharaja of Mysore, this heritage hotel has been converted into a hotel and run by ITDC. Located on the outskirts of the city of Mysore, the palace with its domes and turrets amid sprawling grounds and terraced gardens is a sight to behold and provides a taste of regal luxury.
Located in the Keoladeo National Park, a wild-life and bird reserve which is a haven for hundreds of native bird varieties and migrant birds that visit the sanctuary every year from thousands of miles across the globe in winter for a better clime. The Hotel is an ideal watering hole for bird watchers and nature lovers.
The Jaipur Ashok, located in the Pink City is a small elegant Rajasthan Haveli with heritage architecture with turrets and balconies, built with the pink trade-mark stone of Jaipur. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, the Hotel is favoured by foreigners who love to come to enjoy the traditions and heritage of Rajasthan.
Located in Bhubaneswar, the ancient city of Odisha, Hotel Kalinga Ashok is a congenial combination of time-honored courteousness and modern life style. Visitors can enjoy the real Odisha experience including traditional handicrafts, handloom weaves and the local cuisine.
At the foot of the Himalayas just outside the Kashmir vale in Jammu, the winter capital of the Jammu and Kashmir State is Hotel Jammu Ashok, a modern hotel with all amenities for tourists to Kashmir and for pilgrims to the Vaishnodevi shrine.
Named after the ancient name of the city of Patna; Pataliputra, Hotel Pataliputra Ashok is popular among pilgrims on the Buddhist circuit; Rajgir, Gaya, Bodh Gaya and Vaishali and also offers low-tariff rooms for visitors who are stopping over for a few hours in the day in Patna.
Lake View Ashok
Overlooking the lake from the Shamla Hills in Bhopal, Hotel Lake View Ashok presents a pretty picture. The newly constructed four-floored building stands amidst beautifully landscaped gardens and taking advantage of the location on the slope of the hill, the hotel has two floors above the level of the lobby and two floors below.
Located in Guwahati, Assam, Brahmaputra Ashok is one of the most prominent hotels in the North- East and caters to visitors to the business city of Guwahati and Kaziranga wildlife sanctuary famous for the mighty one-horned rhino. The modern hotel offering all the latest facilities and comfort is constructed in North-Eastern style and furnished using local bamboo and cane furnishing.
Donyi Polo Ashok
Located in Itanagar the capital of Arunachal Pradesh Donyi Polo Ashok offers modern amenities and local décor to the visitors to the beautiful state of the rising sun.
Hotel Pondicherry Ashok is a popular 3-star beach resort on the east coast of India. Pondicherry is a beautiful place with white and sunny beaches and peaceful green forests. The hotel offers modern amenities and a peaceful holiday break.
Located close to the sparkling white sands of the beaches of Puri, near the famous temple of Lord Jagannath, the hotel provides all creature comfort to the visitors to the pilgrim city.
Located in Ranchi, the capital of Chhatisgarh State, Hotel Ranchi Ashok offers all modern amenities to the visitors to Ranchi and the ChotaNagpur plateau.
Taxi Service at Airport
ITDC operates travel counters at Indira Gandhi International Airport Domestic and International Terminals. The counters are located in the Arrival Halls of both terminals.
Services: Car Rentals, Air Tickets and Hotel Booking
Ashok Travels and Tours, a division of ITDC offers visitors cars, luxury limousines and coaches local sight-seeing, trips to nearby cities for business or pleasure.
Ashok Travels and Tours, a division of ITDC are IATA approved travel agents that offer economical Domestic and International air ticketing facilities for all airlines.
Ashok Travels and Tours, a division of ITDC operates a full-fledged money changer operation dealing in all main legal tenders of the world such as Euros, US Dollars, Pound Sterling, Australian Dollars etc in keeping with regulations and rules of Reserve bank of India. This facility is available at airports at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Bangalore.
Also Browse Following Under This Section
In order to offer information and details about traveling's relative safety before visiting any particular foreign destination, a travel advisory is issued in the form of a public notice...
The Government announced a National Tourism Policy-2002 with an aim to project India as a worldwide brand so as to ensure benefits from escalating travel...